(definition further explained in this post if you still aren't satisfied)

Thursday, October 29, 2009

NaNovemberWriMo

November's almost here, and every Wrimo knows what that means! We're all preparing for an entire month of:

-excitement
-heartache
-very little sleep
-lots of caffeine
-comparing word counts
-meeting with our MLs
-attending every writing party humanly possible
-agonizing over plot points
-hand muscle spasms
-being terrified of computer crashes
-dozens of papers/word files strewn about
-muttering to ourselves deep into the early hours of the morning
-seeing our characters everywhere we go
-enthusiastically chronicling that last flash of inspiration
-anticipating the completion of our friends' awesome-looking novels
-etc.

What an interesting experience this promises to be...

I'm actually a newcomer who doesn't quite know what to expect. I didn't even discover NaNoWriMo's existence until a few weeks ago, but now I find myself obscenely excited about it. What better way to top the experience of writing a no-holds-barred novel than writing one at the same time as thousands of other Wrimos around the world?

Anyway, I plan to continue regular posts. As an added bonus to keep you informed of my progress, I'll also label my NaNoWriMo updates with NNWM as an abbreviation, demonstrated here by my lovely assistant example:

NNWM Status Update: I don't know my plot yet, although I hope to have an outline by November. Thankfully, I have one idea that I've fairly fallen in love with, and hope to be able to build a plot and characters around that. I've done a few freewritings, which really helps with generating ideas, so we'll see what happens! :)

To prepare, I've actually managed to clean most of my room. This is an accomplishment for me, considering how messy and haphazard I usually am. (My technique is usually much closer to the throw-it-on-the-bed-or-in-the-floor-or-on-a-pile-and-get-to-it-later approach, which, for some reason, doesn't seem very effective when I indefinitely put off the getting-back-to-it-later part.) It seems as if this event brings out the best in me!

I would also really love to put together a completely decorated, eclectic writing space by November. I've already found a few things to set up from cleaning my room, and hopefully I won't have to spend much money at all to make an area that really gets my creative juices flowing.

If you plan to do NaNoWriMo too, post a comment to tell me a bit about your game plan! Hopefully, I can look forward to meeting many fascinating and quirky writers such as yourself through this experience.

And so I prepare to embark on a daring and exciting journey! I'll send word through posts and updates, and see you on the other side!

No comments: