(definition further explained in this post if you still aren't satisfied)

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Introducing....

NNWM Status Update: I finally have a plot! Yes, ladies and gentlemen, it's definitely on now! I know I put on a brave face back on the first day despite my plotlessness, but it feels good to know a bit more about what I'm doing. Not having a plot at first actually turned out to be a bit of a good thing, as it caused me to introduce characters that I had no plan for at the time. Now I can do whatever I want with them, and they may fit into this story in very interesting ways. In fact, they may cause the story to progress in a way that's totally unique, which excites me beyond words!

Okay, okay, I know you're dying to know what the story is about. I'll give you this much: it's about a kelpie. Not the kind you're used to hearing about, either. (That is, if you've ever even heard of them! If you haven't, the Wikipedia article on kelpies can efficiently get you up to speed.) Although these mythical creatures are usually known as malevolent beings, there's a twist in this story, which introduces them as an entire underwater community that mostly does what they're known for (drowning humans) for simple consumption purposes, and tricks them (also something they're known for) for entertainment and a chance to enjoy themselves a bit on land. Although the kelpie community has lived this way for years, one of them begins to rebel. Because of this decision, she decides to take a human underwater with her...but alive. You can imagine how that could lead to trouble with both humans and the kelpies!

The story even has a title now! At least, it's the working title, but it feels so perfect to me that I may keep it permanently. I call it....Waking Up Human. This title serves dual purposes, which I may reveal to you in the next post. If anyone's interested, that is. :)

In the meantime, I'm wishing every Wrimo reader the best of luck!

No comments: