(definition further explained in this post if you still aren't satisfied)

Friday, October 1, 2010

Good Times, No Matter How Much The Shifting Context Imp Messes With My Sentences

It's Friday!  Which means this is your last post for the weekend, because I work open to close Saturdays and Sundays.  And I feel like posting whatever happens to come out of my fingertips today...

Steve bought another guitar controller for Rock Band!  The two of us played this morning, and I'm already in love.  (With the game, not the guy.  I was already in love with the guy.  Keep up, man!)  I'm decent at it, but there's definite room for improvement, so I have plenty of chance to grow and have fun doing it too. 

Wait...take that last sentence out of that paragraph.  Now pretend it's in a paragraph about how I've been seeing life lately.  Now I've managed to cover two topics competely accurately with half the effort!  I think I just invented "shifting context".  All hail.

Since we're on the subject of my life anyway, by some magical Shifting Context Imp intervention (as in, "Did you see that Shifting Context Imp go streaking by in the middle of my sentence about coconuts?"  And yes, that has a double meaning, that's the point.  I'll give you a second to get that.  I suppose the Shifting Context Imp is a girl, then...), I might as well update you on a few other things for the heck of it.

I admit that I slack off sometimes on schoolwork.  It actually took a long time for me to realize why I do it.  I finally identified that it's the fault of the public school system (isn't everything, really?) for rewarding me when I didn't deserve it.  "Gifted and Talented Program"?  Seriously?  And people, teachers and students alike, praising anyone for being "smart" over the smallest little things.  I mean, they'll make people feel stupid over the smallest things too, sometimes.  Guess it depends on their mood.  But just because I kept up with all my schoolwork, school was always super easy for me.  After several years of that, I stopped trying as hard, because I realized that I could get good results even with a little less effort.

That came back to bite me in the butt when school finally started getting a bit more demanding.  That little girl that was determined to be an all-A student no matter what?  She went off to a more prestigious school than I did, or something, because she just wasn't in me anymore.

The point of all this, actually, is to explain to you why I'm excited that I'm starting to keep up a lot better with my schoolwork.  I've usually gotten good grades and all, but I've decided to start finally demanding more of myself again.  It feels good to be productive, to turn things in on time even if other people in the class don't do the same and you barely begin to feel like it's a requirement anymore.

Actually, while I'm typing this, there's a stack of printed-off papers beside me that I just finished for my computer class.  Which I find mind-numbingly boring, but not in a whoop-de-dee-this-is-too-easy kind of way!  More of a why-did-they-take-ten-pages-to-give-me-instructions-that-they-could've-fit-onto-half-a-page-and-now-I-have-to-sift-through-all-this-tedious-crap kind of way.  BUT, I'm getting it done.  And that makes me feel sort of satisfied.  Like a purring cat.

I might need your help to keep it this way.  I've been lacking in motivation for a long time, so it's probably going to take more than my own hopes and dreams to stay on top of things!

Don't worry.  This doesn't mean I'm going to ask you to drop by my house the moment I say I'm losing steam and kick me in the face until I start doing homework that very millisecond.  I hope that just by saying here on the blog that I'm doing well, I'll feel obligated to keep that up for a long time.

Now, what else is there?  Oh yes, my desire to try new things.  I won't bother going into how that came about, just expect to see more "topic of interest" posts around here soon.  That's all I'm sayin'.

Basically, I'm still trying to become more awesome every day.  I'm trying to find ways to learn new things that I have actual interest in (since college tries to be specialized but I still have to meet all these requirements that I have to take specific classes for that don't exactly hold a lot of interest for me most of the time).  I'm exposing myself (get your mind out of the gutter, you nasty thing) to new movies, new games, new websites, new ideas.  I'm getting help with this from good sources when I can. 

You want examples?  Heck, why not? 

I'd never seen the Transporter movies until recently.  Now I only have one left to go.  I think.  It's a trilogy, right?

I also watched Stepbrothers enough lately that quotes of it are beginning to pop into my head at random.

And I watched Superbad for the first time without having any idea what it was going to be about. 

I've recently played games like Infamous, Rock Band, DDR, Mario RPG, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and that one funny comic-book-style game that I can never remember the name of.

Earlier this week I drove to places I'd never driven before.  (My GPS took into a residential neighborhood and told me to drive through the gate at some random person's house to find the mall, but that's beside the point.)

I've learned things about economy, politics, and legalization that I'd never dreamed of before.

Basically, it's all good times.


What have YOU been up to lately?  What projects have you gotten your hands into?  What new things are you learning about or looking into?

Have a good weekend, everybody!


picture found using Google images

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When were you somewhere that had a mall?!

Cheeseboy said...

You sound very busy. Lots of little projects going down.
I'm trying my hand at stand up comedy.

Lexy @ QUIRKY EXPLOSION said...

Hahahah. I'm the biggest fail at rock band and guitar hero. It's beyond embarassing/hilarious.

ALSO, I love going to places I've never been before! But my town is so small, that that's definitely a rarity.


QUIRKYEXPLOSION.blogspot.com

Shawn said...

New follower - very cool blog. Love for you to check my blog and follow me. Thanks
Mr Monkey

AiringMyLaundry said...

My husband LOVES quoting Stepbrothers to me.